Friday, January 23, 2009

My Neighborhood and Renting Nightmares

So the neighborhood I'm currently staying is known as Gracia , which used to be a independent village at one point of time, but now is part of the town. 
The area is very typical European,  with very narrow streets, big squares and old houses with big terraces. Ok maybe not European but typical Spain for sure. The place is full of small bars, restaurants, interesting shops and infested by young people, which is awesome of course. In addition, the place doesn't have too many dumb tourists, which is also great. The local crowd here is very friendly and people are out on the streets till the wee hours of the morning - it's definitely not a dead place. 

Which bring me to the point. Why can't I rent a place here?  The problems are manifold, and most of them are just frustrating.

a) First of all,  there is a shortage of places here, for many people like Gracia. Understood.

b) There is an even more severe shortage of good places. I'm looking for a place with a nice balcony/terrace and boy that's been impossible to find. 

c) Stupid rules. If you are a gringo (a foreigner) and want to rent a place for long term, most of the owners need an asinine thing called a bank guarantee. This means that you would have to put aside some month's rent (usually 6 months) in a separate bank account and not touch it.  If you break the lease or cannot pay the rent, the owner has the right to dip into this account and take the money. Mind you this is NOT the security deposit - that is different and is usually 2 months' rent.  

Why is this asinine? Just to get some more info, I offered one of the owners the same money upfront. Of course, I was bluffing since I don't have 6 months rent money on me and probably will never have, but the owner didn't know that. He refused. End of the day, he would have received his money anyway so I don't really understand why one needs to set up an extra account. Weird. Anyway I lost a really nice apartment because of this stupid demand. 

All this leads me to conclude that for all the talk of the world in an economic and housing crisis,
Barca seems to be impervious to everything as apartments are being rented left right and center, inspite of the dumb demands of the locals.  Oh well, the search continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment